MEF Update on MEF 3.0 Services – Accelerating Development & Implementation Worldwide
Dozens of Organizations Continue to Support MEF 3.0 Initiatives Focused on Transformation, Federation and Certification
MEF is pleased to share a progress update on the MEF 3.0 transformational global services framework for defining, delivering, and certifying assured services orchestrated across a global ecosystem of automated networks. Building upon the momentum generated by MEF18 and our recent members meeting in Hong Kong, we continue to make advancements across the key elements of the MEF 3.0 framework, including: standardized services; LSO (Lifecycle Service Orchestration) APIs; services, technology, and professional certification; Proof of Concept demonstrations; and other community activities.
Dozens of companies are supporting MEF 3.0 initiatives focused on enabling service providers to (1) transform their businesses, services, and networks, (2) federate on a global basis, and (3) certify that their service offerings comply with MEF 3.0 standards. Their collective work will help drive worldwide availability of MEF 3.0 services that provide an on-demand, cloud-centric experience with unprecedented user- and application-directed control over network resources and service capabilities.
Here are some of the notable recent highlights:
Services . MEF has progressed standardization work across the MEF 3.0 service family that includes dynamic SD-WAN, Carrier Ethernet, Optical Transport, IP, and Security-as-a-Service (SECaaS) solutions.
- Our groundbreaking SD-WAN Attributes and Service Definition standard currently is on track to be officially released by mid-2019. SD-WAN service standardization will enable ecosystem stakeholders to use the same terminology when buying, selling, assessing, deploying, and delivering SD-WAN services.
- In late January, MEF launched an exciting new standardization project focused on SECaaS Application Protection for SD-WAN.
- In December, MEF published several CE standard updates ( MEF 10.4 , MEF 45.1 , and MEF 51.1 ) that strengthen subscriber service attribute definitions to ensure services are orchestration-ready and support virtualized UNIs; improve guidance on handling Layer 2 control protocols; and provide revised definitions of general and specific Operator Ethernet services that are better aligned with the latest service attributes definitions.
LSO APIs . MEF has been working hard to accelerate development of standardized LSO APIs for end-to-end service automation across multiple providers and over multiple network technology domains.
- In late October, MEF released inter-provider LSO Sonata API technical specifications and Software Development Kits (SDKs) in a Developer Release for serviceability, product inventory, quoting, and ordering. Our goal is to publish the official LSO Sonata API standards in Q2 2019. This work is a critical step toward enabling service providers to transition from operating as independent islands to being integral players in a worldwide business federation of cloud-like networks that support dynamic services across multiple providers.
- In December and January, MEF published several LSO standards ( MEF 57.1 , MEF 74 , and MEF 78 ) that define business requirements and use cases for ordering MEF 3.0 CE services, specify commercial affecting attributes related to inter-provider service orchestration, and define MEF’s Core Information Model tied to the widely adopted LSO Reference Architecture.
- Last April, MEF released two LSO Presto standards for intra-provider service orchestration: the Network Resource Management: Information Model (NRM IM, MEF 59) and the Network Resource Provisioning: Interface Profile Specification (MEF 60) . The LSO Presto API for automated network resource provisioning has been available since then for standardized use with a mix of network technologies.
- MEF is on track to release several new LSO Presto standards in coming months that build upon MEF 59 and MEF 60. These include a new NRM IM that adds OAM management features; the LSO Presto SOAM Interface Profile Specification for MEF 3.0 CE services; and the NRM IM for MEF 3.0 Optical Transport (Layer 1) services.
- MEF has work under way related to orchestrated MEF 3.0 services over 5G, intent-based networking, and other LSO interface reference points specified in the LSO Reference Architecture. We will share updates on these initiatives in the near future.
Services, Technology, and Professional Certification . MEF has made the following progress related to MEF 3.0 certification programs:
- MEF is proud to recognize a dozen service and technology providers who have achieved MEF 3.0 certification thus far. These include Cable ONE, CAT Telecom, CMC Telecom, Fiberail, Telxius, TIME, ADVA Optical, Ciena, Cisco, H3C Technologies, Huawei, and Juniper.
- MEF currently is developing new pilot MEF 3.0 SD-WAN and LSO Sonata Orchestrated Services certification programs that we plan to release this year.
- MEF has expanded our professional certification program to include MEF-SDN/NFV certification in addition to the MEF Carrier Ethernet Certified Professional (MEF-CECP) and MEF Network Foundation (MEF-NF) certifications. These certifications and related training are designed to help service providers overcome organizational skills gaps that represent a major challenge for migrating to dynamic connectivity and SD-WAN services .
MEF 3.0 Proof of Concept Demonstrations . MEF 3.0 PoCs have proven to be a great opportunity for service and technology providers to spotlight industry progress on the journey to dynamic and assured services orchestrated across automated networks.
- More than 50 service and technology providers participated in 18 MEF 3.0-related PoCs at MEF18.
- In February, MEF announced that our Call for Proposals for the MEF 3.0 PoC Showcase at MEF19 is now open. This year’s Showcase will feature up to 20 live demonstrations by many of the world’s most renowned communications service providers and technology vendors. We already have received a high level of interest from companies wishing to participate and welcome other interested parties to explore this opportunity to showcase their innovations.